- 3 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 (8-oz) container mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
- 2 cups very strong brewed coffee or brewed espresso, cooled to room temperature
- 2 T sweet Marsala wine
- 18 savoiardi (crisp Italian ladyfingers, 6 oz)
- 1/4 cup fine-quality bittersweet chocolate shavings (not unsweetened; made with a vegetable peeler) or 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until thick and pale, about 2 minutes. Beat in mascarpone until just combined.
- Beat whites with a pinch of salt in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold soft peaks.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, then continue to beat whites until they just hold stiff peaks.
- Beat cream in another bowl with cleaned beaters until it just holds soft peaks.
- Fold cream into mascarpone mixture gently but thoroughly, then fold in whites.
- Stir together coffee and Marsala in a shallow bowl.
- Dip 1 ladyfinger in coffee mixture, soaking it about 4 seconds on each side, and transfer to an 8-inch glass baking dish (2-quart capacity). Repeat with 8 more ladyfingers and arrange in bottom of dish, trimming as needed to fit snugly.
- Spread half of mascarpone mixture evenly over ladyfingers.
- Make another layer in same manner with remaining ladyfingers and mascarpone mixture.
- Chill tiramisu, covered, at least 6 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with chocolate.