Coffee Cake with Mocha Glaze
- 8 T (1 stick) cold butter, plus butter for the pan
- 2 cups plus 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3 T cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with butter
- Combine 3 T flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 t cinnamon and 3 T butter.
- Mix with your fingers until it just starts coming together.
- Set this streusel mixture aside.
- Combine remaining 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 t cinnamon, 5 T butter (cut into bits) in a bowl. Mix well with a fork until all of the flour is coated with some of the butter.
- With your mixer on low speed, beat the egg into the batter, then the milk until blended.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle half the streusel over it.
- Add the remaining batter, then the remaining streusel.
- Bake approx 30 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean)
- Top with Mocha Glaze (see below)
- Cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients and beat until combined and smooth.
- Drizzle over top of cake.