- 1 (8 pound) pork shoulder roast
- 1 quart apple cider, or as needed
- 5 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, chopped
- Applewood chunks
- Place pork shoulder in a large pot and add enough apple cider to cover. Combine white sugar, brown sugar, salt, paprika, onion powder, black pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl. Mix about 1/4 cup sugar rub into cider; reserve remaining rub.
- Cover pot and refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Prepare smoker to about 225 degrees. Add enough wood chips to smoker.
- Pour cider brine into the water pan of the smoker; add onion and about 1/4 cup more sugar rub. Spread remaining rub over pork shoulder. Transfer pork to the center of smoker.
- Smoke pork until very tender (1.5 hours/lb). Add applewood chunks as needed. Transfer pork to a large platter and cool for 30 minutes before shredding with forks.
Adapted from www.allrecipes.com