Navy Bean Soup
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried navy beans
- 6 cups water
- 1 ham bone (for flavor)
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- Place beans in a large pot, cover with cold water, and soak overnight or bring to a boil for 3 minutes, cover, remove from heat and let beans sit undisturbed for one hour. Drain water.
- Add remaining ingredients except celery and carrots to beans (including 6 cups water). Bring beans to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 90 minutes, stirring and skimming occasionally.
- Adjust cooking time if needed until beans are soft and tender. Add carrots and celery and cook for about half an hour.
- Remove ham bone, and when cool enough to handle, remove its meat and add the meat back to the pot.