- 5 lbs. potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. oil
- Peel and boil 5 lbs of potatoes until soft.
- Finely chop 1 large onion and saute in butter until soft and translucent.
- Grate 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese.
- Mash the potatoes along with the onion mixture, cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let the potato mixture cool and then form into 1" balls.
- Mix together 2 cups of flour with 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. oil and add all at once to the flour mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup very hot water and work until the dough loses most of its stickiness.
- Roll the dough on a floured board or countertop until 1/8" thick.
- Cut 3" circles of dough with a glass or cookie cutter.
- Place a potato ball on each dough round and fold the dough over forming a semi-circle.
- Press the edges together with the tines of a fork.
- Boil pierogies a few at a time in a large pot of water. They are done when they float to the top. Rinse in cool water and let dry.
- Saute chopped onions together in a large pan until onions are soft.
- Add pierogies and pan fry until lightly crispy.