Peppered Beef Tenderloin in Phyllo Dough
- 8 beef tenderloin steaks, about 4 oz. each, trimmed well
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 small zucchini, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped, (about 4 oz.)
- 2 small clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 16 sheets filo dough
- 8 long scallion greens
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Sprinkle steaks on both sides with pepper, pressing with fingertips to adhere.
- Spray a 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks and cook for 11/2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Add zucchini, onions, mushrooms and garlic to pan and drippings. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Remove from heat. Stir in salt. Spoon out liquid.
- Let the vegetables and meat cool.
- Cut scallion greens very skinny. Place them on a paper towel, zap in the microwave to blanch. Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet with some spray or butter pan lightly.
- Place one sheet of filo on dry surface (cover the unused sheets with was paper until you get ready to use)
- Brush lightly with butter. Fold in half lengthwise, buttered side in.
- Place one steak 3 inches from the end of the folded filo.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons vegetable mixture on top of steak; fold sides over, roll up. Brush with butter after assembling.
- Place another sheet of filo on surface and brush lightly with butter. Gather sides around steak package, gently pressing so it resembles a sack tied in the middle. Tie with a scallion.
- Set on cookie sheet. Cover with wax paper. finish remaining steaks.
Bake in preheated oven
15 minutes for rare
17 minutes for medium rare
20 minutes for medium