Mom's Lemon Sponge Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 T butter, melted
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- One 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix sugar and flour in large bowl.
- Stir in lemon juice and grated rind.
- Slightly beat egg yolks.
- Add egg yolks, butter and salt; stir to combine.
- Stir in milk and mix well.
- In separate clean bowl, beat egg whites until stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold into sugar mixture (DO NOT OVERMIX).
- Pour into pie shell. [(Click here for pie crust recipe)|http://riehlfood.com/?p=652]
- Bake 10 minutes in middle of oven.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees. Bake about 30-40 additional minutes.
- Watch closely to prevent burning.