- 1 medium lemon
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 3/4 t salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 T sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Grate 1 T lemon peel and squeeze 4 1/2 t lemon juice.
- In large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- With pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in lemon peel.
- In small bowl beat eggs slightly; stir in milk.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixturejust until flour is moisened; spoon evenly into pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- In 1-quart saucepan over medium high heat, heat lemon juice and 2 T sugar to boiling.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- With pastry brush, brush sugar mixture evenly over top of bread.
- Finish cooling bread on wire rack.