Clam Shack Style Fried Clams
- 1 cup corn flour (or masa harina)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 t fine sea salt or table salt
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds of shucked whole-belly steamer clams
- About 6 cups peanut, canola, or other vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Combine the flours, salt, and both peppers in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat or in a deep fryer.
- While the oil is heating, pour the buttermilk into another large bowl.
- Drop the clams into the buttermilk and stir gently.
- Using a slotted spoon, carefully lift up a small batch, allowing the excess buttermilk to drip back into bowl, then drop the clams into the dry mix and gently toss it to coat evenly with the mix.
- When the oil is hot, lift the clams out of the dry mix with the slotted spoon, gently shake off the excess, and drop it carefully into the oil.
- When golden brown, transfer clams from the hot oil to the paper towel–lined baking sheet to drain.
- Serve with tartar sauce.