- 8 ounces imported Swiss cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cherry brandy, such as kirsch
- Pinch nutmeg
- French bread, cut into 1" cubes
- In a small bowl, coat the cheeses with cornstarch and set aside. Rub the inside of the ceramic fondue pot with the garlic, then discard.
- Over medium heat, add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer. Gradually stir the cheese into the simmering liquid. Melting the cheese gradually encourages a smooth fondue. Once smooth, stir in cherry brandy, mustard and nutmeg.
- Use long-handled forks to spear bread cubes, then dip and swirl in fondue with stirring motion to keep fondue from sticking. If fondue becomes too thick, add a little heated wine. 4 to 6 servings.