Bleu Cheese Crusted Filet Mignon
- 2 tablespoons bleu cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons fines herbs (recommended: Spice Islands)
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 4 (6-ounce) filet mignon steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning, plus 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine bleu cheese, bread crumbs, herbs, and 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil; set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large saute pan and heat over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and to add pan, but do not crowd. Sear 1 to 2 minutes per side just to brown. Remove pan from heat and transfer steaks onto prepared baking sheet.
- Top each steak with 1/4 of blue cheese mixture. Finish cooking steaks in preheated oven for 4 minutes for medium-rare, 6 minutes for medium, and 8 minutes for well done.
- Return pan to stove and deglaze with cognac by scraping bits from bottom of pan. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce liquid by half.
- Serve steaks hot with sauce.
Adapted from Sandra Lee