Apple Turnovers using Phyllo Dough
Apple filling Ingredients
- 4-5 medium apples(I usually use granny smith),diced, quite small
- 1-2 T butter (you can use a bit more or you can omit altogether)
- 2 t lemon/orange peel
- 1/4 cup -1/3 cup sugar (depending how tart your apples are...)
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/4 t - 1 t cinnamon, or to taste
You will also need
- 1/2 pack of phyllo sheets
- 1/2 stick of butter (more or less), melted
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Peel and dice apples.
- In a medium saucepan, add apples,sugar,vanilla,orange/lemon peel, cinnamon and cornstarch.
- Heat on med-low stirring every so often .
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the apple mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Remove phyllo dough from package and have a damp towel ready so you can keep the phyllo sheets covered as you work.
- They tend to dry out very quickly.
- Melt butter.
- Using a pastry brush, brush one phyllo sheet.
- Fold in half(vertical)and brush again. Fold again to form a long strip.
- Brush again with butter.
- On one edge, add about 1 1/2 TBS of apple filling.
- Roll in the form of a triangle...just like you would fold a flag. (Remember to keep the folding tight as you make the triangle.)
- Brush the outside of the triangle phyllo turnover with extra butter.
- Place apple turnovers onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Check after about 10 minutes so that they won't burn.
- Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.